File that....

Way back in November of 2013 I shared this on my blog.  It's a vintage Shannon file board, that I altered with a photo of my dad, and ephemera that either belonged to him or could have.

At the time, (I'm sure you don't remember), I mentioned I had several more I planned to make, of a few other ancestors, and I've only just recently, finally got them done!  I've shared some of them over at Love is in the Details and thought I would share them here as well.

The first one is of my mom.  It can now hang alongside the one of my dad.  It includes some documentation from her immigration to Canada from Europe, and her boat passage tag, as well as a metal paper clip commemorating the Saskatoon City Hospital where she trained and nursed.  Scissors and clocks were a part of that life so I included them here, as well as a Canadian postage stamp to denote her love for her adopted country.  

There are also some Kaisercraft die cuts and some very old Autumn Leaves stitched flourishes from my stash.

 Next, I have a file board of my paternal grandparents.  Photos of them are scarce, but I do have this one and I wanted to use it along with some things that remind me of them.
The background of the board is a page from a vintage Watkins catalogue.  I remember how they had a Watkins remedy for anything that could ail you.  I also remember how my grandma sewed all her dresses (as did most women from that era), so I included the button card, and how she always had a hankie tucked in her sleeve or the top of her dress.  I remember my grandpa's large hands, with his even larger Bible in it, and his glasses.


I used some word stickers from Tim Holtz's Idea-ology Chitchat line as well as Authentique's Petite Diction. 



 One of these boards is not like the others.  I saw one very much like this years ago in a scrapbook store in Edmonton AB, and when they would not sell it to me, I had to figure out how to make my own.  

I hate to have to admit to being unsuccessful at something I am usually so adept at; killing plants.  I bought it with this eventual result in mind, but it wouldn't cooperate as my other plants do, and finally I had to take matters into my own hands.  I'm not proud of it but the end justifies yada, yada, yada. 

 And how about that bug!?  It came, via the Internet, from somewhere in South America and I had to "open" it and mount my own self!!  I adorned this board with a vintage fishing fly, still on its card, and a page from a vintage fishing card collectors booklet.  With a botanical vibe like this, you know it's going north to the cottage with me!!


Thanks for stopping in again today to see what's new!  Check back again soon, as there are a few more ancestor boards to share with you!






Comments

Popular Posts